The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: WANJALA  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 WANJALA  Male  Thursday, January 29, 2015 Found near the Dida Harea Windmill waterhole on the southern plains of Tsavo East National Park  Approximately 19 months old The calf who was in the company of a teenage bull was weak and extremely emaciated. He was obviously an orphan who had been without mother’s milk for sometime. Drought Related

Latest Updates on WANJALA:

View to Location map for WANJALA (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper’s Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for WANJALA)

12/29/2016 – The move of Oltaitoni, Roi and Kamok to Tsavo has changed the demographic in the Nairobi nursery. The orphans used to be led out by Oltiayoni and Roi but today Naseku led Kauro, Tusuja, Galla, Wanjala, Karisa, Ukame and little Ambo out to the forest. She turned around and started rumbling trying to locate Oltaiyoni and Roi, but then settled out with the others to browse, occasionally turning to rumble for her friends with little Ambo standing next to her too. Naseku is not such a good care taker of the babies though which saw Ambo after some time go and attach himself to Mbegu instead who willingly doted on him and made a fuss of him. Today Mbegu spent the entire day very close to her family whereas in the past she had stayed with Roi, Kauro, Oltaiyoni, Ambo, Tusuja, Galla, Wanjala, Ukame and Karisa. For now all the babies are under her new leadership – she did not walk far but instead stayed close to the others and especially the babies.

The Two Latest Photos of WANJALA(view gallery of pictures for WANJALA)

 Wanjala having a drink of water  Mbegu,  Wanjala and Dupotto
Wanjala having a drink of water
photo taken on 9/28/2016
Mbegu, Wanjala and Dupotto
photo taken on 9/15/2016


A young elephant calf approximately 19 months old was first sighted near the Trust funded Dida Harea Windmill waterhole on the southern plains of Tsavo East National Park by the DSWT maintenance team who monitor the Trust funded windmills throughout Tsavo regularly. The calf was weak and extremely emaciated and was obviously an orphan who had been without its mother’s milk for some time judging by his condition, but was accompanied by a teenage bull at the time who later ran off at the approach of the vehicle, leaving the calf alone and extremely vulnerable to predators due to his poor condition.

The maintenance team observed the calf for much of the day during which time wild elephant herds came to drink leaving the weakened calf behind who was unable to follow. The decision was therefore made to rescue it, since it was unlikely to survive the night being so vulnerable. 

The calf with a wild teenage bull  The orpahned calf


Capturing the calf  The calf is captured


At the stockades in voi before transfer to Nairobi

The Kenya Wildlife Service Senior warden of Tsavo East was informed and he called the Trust’s Voi elephant Keepers to mobilise a rescue after which the calf was duly captured with little residence due to its emaciated condition. He was a young male and was driven to the airstrip to wait for the aircraft from Nairobi which had in the meantime been arranged; this ensured the rescue was seamless with little delay. The rescued baby was prepared for the flight, hydrated throughout the journey and placed in a stockade at our Nairobi Nursery. 

Getting the calf prepared for the flight  Ready for loading for the flight to Nairobi


Loading into the rescue plane  Strapping the orphan for the flight


During the flight to Nairobi  Offloading on arrival at Wilson


On the way to the Nairobi stockades

He was very weak and collapsed a number of times requiring emergency attention to retrieve him, but as the days passed he began to regain his strength. We think the reason for his being orphaned is a result of the brutal dry season, and drought conditions, most probably abandoned by his family simply because he could no longer keep up with the herd. He was named Wanjala after the area from where he was found. 

Arrival at the Nursery  Being placed in the stockade


The calf is called Wanjala  Eating greens in Nairobi


Heading out to the bush  Going out for the day with the others


Out in the bush  Wanjala charging at Pea

After a week or so he had regained significant strength enough to be able to join the other nursery ele orphans and their Keepers in the forest and on the plains of Nairobi National Park and very quickly made special friends and settled into all the routines like a veteran. Over the past month we have been delighted with Wanjala’s progress, rescued literally from the jaws of death as the last remnants of his strength were ebbing away. A lovely gentle bull who has grown stronger thanks to intensive care and is back to perfect health surrounded by a new loving nurturing family, both two footed and four. 

Wanjala and Sana Sana  Tusuja and Wanjala


Wanjala having milk  Wanjala with Kiko


Mbegu,  Wanjala and Dupotto  Wanjala having a drink of water